Readathoning

Thank you, Kanaye, for this lovely button!

It's time for another Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon.  I can generally be counted upon to attempt to do the thon.  This year is no different.  I am still working to get a handle on the whole work-life balance, namely how to not be a total zombie on my days off or after work, but I appreciate y'all bearing with me.  I honestly wasn't sure that I would be able to participate this year.  I am scheduled for the flex shift at work, which means I have to call in two hours before my shift is supposed to start to find out whether I need to come in or not.  After talking to my boss today, it didn't look too likely, but there is always that chance.  So I'll participate as much as I can.

I cannot recall how many of these I have attempted to participate in.  But I always have a great time.  I start out strong.  I get distracted.  I get sleepy.  I take a nap (maybe).  Then I come back for a bit before going to bed for good.  I think 1:00am was my record--which is hour 18 of the thon.  By the way, I'm probably going to start a little late.  I'm scheduled to start at 7:00, but that doesn't give me much time to wake up, have coffee, and do some yoga before settling in to read, you know?

I love the amount of interaction through Twitter and blogs.  I always find so many new people to follow and new blogs to read, which is great.  I don't have a lot of people in real life to talk about books with, so I need my online people!  :)

Due to the spur of the moment nature of my decision to participate, I don't have any special snacks prepared.  That's OK.  I really need to work on getting a better handle on my eating because I've felt pretty blah lately (but not as blah as i was feeling about my eating earlier this summer).

Book-wise...I want to make a good bit of progress on Secrets of the Flesh by Judith Thurman, Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe, The Portable Dorothy Parker (which I thought I had lost), Walden by Henry David Thoreau, and Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham for sure.




I also have a good-sized stack of possibilities in case I need a break from the above.





In reality, any book in my possession is fair game to be read during the thon.

I am not sure how I'll do my updates for tomorrow.  Maybe separate posts.  Maybe one long post.  We shall see.  I'd like to try to post an update and do some commenting every four hours, but we'll see how that works out.

I can't wait to see what everyone else is reading!

Comments

Popular Posts