I found this game on a friend's Facebook and decided that I wanted to play along...
The Rules: Randomly list any twelve literary characters, and then answer the following questions. Make SURE that you list the characters BEFORE reading the questions! Or else you'll miss the Mad Libs fun!
My twelve are:
1) Anna Karenina
2) Rhett Butler
4) Holly Golightly
5) Atticus Finch
6) Jay Gatsby
7) Daisy Fay
8) Scarlett O'Hara
9) Mr. Darcy
10) Elizabeth Bennet
12) Auntie Mame
1. Who would make a better college prof, 6 (Jay Gatsby) or 11 (Lee)?
Lee, being the more philosophical of the two, would probably be better. Though Gatsby would be an interesting lit professor because of his experiences (both real and fabricated).
2. Do you think that 2 (Rhett Butler) would win the “Cutest Guy of 2009"?
Rhett Butler is "Sexiest Man of All Time."
3. 12 (Auntie Mame) sends 8 (Scarlett O'Hara) out on a mission. What is it? Does it succeed?
Auntie Mame needs Scarlett to distract Mr. Babcock so that he won't discover the mischief she and Patrick have gotten up to. Of course it succeeds! Scarlett winds up getting Mr. Babcock talking about her lumber mill, which allows Mame and Patrick to escape.
4. What is or would be 9 (Mr. Darcy)'s favourite book?
I think he would definitely read the Romantics. For some reason, I think he would have enjoyed Hemingway as well...but I think this of almost everyone who didn't get to read Hemingway...
5. Would it make more sense for 2 (Rhett Butler) to swear fealty to 6 (Jay Gatsby), or the other way around?
I think the other way around. Rhett would have been Gatsby's mentor, teaching him the ways of the world, men's fashion, and romancing the ladies.
6. 5 (Atticus Finch) is looking for a roommate. Should (s)he share a studio apartment with 9 (Mr. Darcy) or 10 (Elizabeth Bennet)?
It would have to be Mr. Darcy because Atticus would never have a lady for a roommate, nor would Elizabeth have a man for a roommate.
7. 2 (Rhett Butler), 7 (Daisy Fay), and 12 (Auntie Mame) have dinner together. Where do they go, and what do they discuss?
They'd sit in a corner table at some ritzy New York nightclub and would discuss their love problems. Hopefully Daisy and Mame would convince Rhett to go back to Scarlett.
8. 3 (Yossarian) challenges 10 (Elizabeth Bennet) to a duel. What happens?
A fabulous flashback to something else that happened on the base.
9. If 1 (Anna Karenina) stole 8 (Scarlett O'Hara)'s most precious possession, how would she/he get it back?
This one is kind of fun to think about because Vivian Leigh played both characters! I think in this case, the most precious possession would be Rhett, so it would be a battle of seduction to see who would ultimately get him back. SPOILER ALERT! Though I think Scarlett would get him in the end because she keeps her head on her shoulders and would not dive under a train.
10. Suggest a title for a story in which 7 (Daisy Fay) and 12 (Auntie Mame) both attain what they most desire.
They both desire to be young and beautiful and rich forever...So...something about The Fountain of Youth.
11. What kind of plot device would you use if you wanted 4 (Holly Golightly) and 1 (Anna Karenina) to work together?
Anna Karenina would hire Holly to seduce Vronsky to see if he were faithful to her.
12. If 7 (Daisy Fay) visited you for the weekend, how would you get along?
I think we would have a pretty good time for the weekend--going out, drinking, having fun until the wee hours--but ultimately we are rather different and I think I would probably get bored of her and her limited conversational skills.
13. If you could command 3 (Yossarian) to perform any one task or service for you, what would it be?
I would want Yossarian to help me find the Snowdens of yesteryear.
14. If 2 (Rhett Butler) had to choose sides between 4 (Holly Golightly) and 5 (Atticus Finch), which would it be?
I think he would probably choose Holly because Atticus is too straightforward, whereas Holly is willing to go to whatever lengths she needs in order to get what she needs and wants.
15. What might 10 (Elizabeth Bennet) shout while charging into battle?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters." That's not really a thing to shout, but I think it would sum up her sentiments.
16. If you chose a song to represent 8 (Scarlett O'Hara), which song would you choose?
"My Way" by Frank Sinatra. She did what she needed to do. "Regrets, I've had a few/Then again, too few to mention/I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption." And "Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew/When I bit off more than I could chew/But through it all, when there was doubt/I ate it up and spit it out" You know. Stuff like that...
17. 1 (Anna Karenina), 6 (Jay Gatsby), and 12 (Auntie Mame) are having dim sum at a Chinese restaurant. There is only one scallion pancake left, and they all reach for it at the same time. Who gets to eat it?
Auntie Mame totally would have eaten it! Anna and Jay were probably both too depressed about their love lives, so Mame would have gotten the food.
18. What might be a good pick-up line for 2 (Rhett Butler) to use on 10 (Elizabeth Bennet)?
"Don't give yourself airs, Elizabeth."
19. What would 5 (Atticus Finch) most likely be arrested for?
He's honor and truth and justice. What could he be arrested for?
20. What is 6 (Jay Gatsby)'s secret?
Aside from the obvious? Well...I think his secret is that he hates parties and large crowds.
21. If 11 (Lee) and 9 (Mr. Darcy) were racing to a destination, who would get there first?
Lee. Either because he lived after automobiles existed or because Darcy was too proud to admit that Lee could possibly win.
22. If you had to walk home through a bad neighbourhood late at night, would you feel safer in the company of 7 (Daisy Fay) or 8 (Scarlett O'Hara)?
Scarlett. She's killed a man. And she can shoot straight if she doesn't have to shoot too far. We'd be fine.
23. 1 (Anna Karenina) and 9 (Mr. Darcy) reluctantly team up to save the world from the threat posed by 4 (Holly Golightly)'s sinister secret organization. 11 (Lee) volunteers to help them, but it is later discovered that s/he is actually a spy for 4 (Holly Golightly). Meanwhile, 4 (Holly Golightly) has kidnapped 12 (Auntie Mame) in an attempt to force their surrender. Following the wise advice of 5 (Atticus Finch), they seek out 3 (Yossarian), who gives them what they need to complete their quest. What title would you give this fiction?
"Dinner at Sing Sing." I mean, if Holly Golightly is the bad guy, then obviously this is the only correct title.