Five on Friday

Five things that are going on right now...

1. Fireplace--It's absolutely frigid (for Oklahoma) this weekend and most of next week. Fortunately, I had the foresight to get a couple of bags of firewood at the grocery store before the cold weather set in. (We totally meant to get a rick of wood this winter, but didn't come across any advertised and now it feels a little late to purchase that much) Two bags of firewood are good for one night of fire. But we do fires right! We make a little bed on the floor by the fireplace and sleep in the living room. It's the absolute best! I stay nice and cozy all night. Plus it's fun to wake up and throw more wood on the fire, then roll over and go back to sleep. I'm sure it's not the safest, but we like to live on the edge.

2. Unprocessed by Megan Kimble--I am love, love, loving! this book. I can't shake it, to be honest. I'm only three chapters in and it's really changing how I'm thinking about my food. Oklahoma is not the most forward thinking on...well, really any matter, but especially not food matters. This means that we don't have a lot of organics available or options in where we buy our food. Especially in the town I live in. It's an on-going process, but I'm trying to figure out how to integrate less processed food into my life. One of my great pleasures is cooking, so we'll see how this all plays out.



3. Bread--Speaking of Unprocessed, Kimble makes her own bread from scratch. She goes all in and gets her own wheat berries to grind, which I don't foresee myself doing any time soon. I love the idea of making fresh bread using good quality flour (so not the bleached nutrient-less stuff). I think I'll have the same sort of pride and satisfaction I got when I first made my own pasta. However, I am so intimidated by working with yeast. I know there's not a lot of margin for error, so I've just never cooked with it. Anyone have a dummy proof bread recipe that won't take a million years to make?

4. This bag!--I want this bag from Dagne Dover so badly. It's beautiful and could carry everything I need to carry and then some. Someday, I will get it and a clutch wallet. Until then, I'll just dream about it.



5. Torchy's Tacos--Next week a Torchy's is opening in Tulsa. I am so excited. It's going to be an utter madhouse for a while, I'm sure, but I cannot wait to be able to get me some Torchy's Tacos. They started in Austin and have expanded throughout Texas, now they've migrated to Oklahoma. Steve and I were fortunate enough to get Torchy's in Austin over the summer, then we found one in Dallas on our way back on New Year's Day. I was bereft because I didn't know the next time I'd be able to get some damn good tacos. Not too terribly long, thank goodness.

The original taco truck in Austin.

My meal in Dallas.

Why did I torture myself by looking at those pictures again? My mouth is watering...

What do you have going on this Friday?

Comments

Popular Posts