Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog.

Ahhhhh!  I feel so much better!  :)

For the past while I haven't felt good about my old blog, but I really couldn't put my finger on why.  It finally dawned on me that I started that blog when I was 19 or 20 (I can't remember which) and I've been feeling really limited by what I've done in the past.  It was time for a fresh start to reflect the person I have become.  Not that I think I am done changing--I think we always change--but I feel like I've finally reached a point where I'm a fine wine that will just get better with age.

I feel like my old blog started out as one thing, then tried to become more of a book blog, then tried to be about my other interests and activities.  Granted, this blog will be about all of those things, but it will be all of those things from the get-go and can be organized in a better way.  I'll continue writing about books, cooking, and whatever else pops into my head.

A bit about my inspiration...

The title comes from Auntie Mame, which is subtitled An Irreverent Escapade.  That's kind of where I feel like my life has headed.  I don't want to take things more seriously than they should be taken.  I want to keep it real.  I feel like I am in the middle of some wacky adventure that I have no idea what the destination is.  I'm working on just embracing that.  Though I haven't finished reading the novel yet, I have seen the film with Rosalind Russell a number of times and I adore Mame.  I love how eccentric, free, and hard-working she is.  Things rarely go smoothly for her, but she always has good intentions and things have a way of working out anyway.

Many bloggers that I have met since starting my first blog have influenced me and have been a pleasure to get to know.  One in particular, whose identity I won't divulge of out privacy to its lovely owner, has taught me a lot about how I want to talk about books--I want it to be more of a conversation about my thoughts and attitude towards the book, not a strict critical review of what worked well and what didn't and why.  I think in my journey as a reader it's more important to focus on how I feel about a book and how I react to it than it is to dissect all of the possible meanings behind why the author chose a blue front door.  I completed that degree in college.  I hated it.  (If we're going to look beyond me, I'd rather stick to the history--the times in which the book was written, the reception of the book, and its impact--I have degrees in that as well)  Another blogger whom I have come to admire is Lesley M. M. Blume.  She's written a fantastic series of books called Let's Bring Back, which is perfect for someone with a nostalgic streak, like myself.

I suppose that's enough for now.  Thank you for making the move with me and if you're new, thank you for joining me.

Mille tendresse!

Comments

  1. Yay for fresh starts! Good luck with your new project :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely blog, Lori! I hope it better fits your journey going forward. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts