Wellness Wednesday

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about how I just haven't been feeling good in my own skin. My eating habits hadn't been great. I hadn't been working out. I wasn't sure if I'd make it to the new year if I didn't change something.

I've taken some baby steps.

I bought a great multi vitamin from the GNC in town--OLLY Women's Multi in Blissful Berry. Personally, I prefer the gummy vitamins to the pill form. The pill form tends to give me a stomachache (yes, I tried taking it with food). I've been taking these daily for about a week and a half and I feel quite a bit better. I have more energy and endurance, which is handy because bar prep is a solid 8-10 hours a day, 6 days a week.

I also bought some better food at the grocery store. Hummus and pretzels for a snack. Baby carrots and cucumber, also for snacks or sides with a meal. Yogurt and oatmeal with frozen fruit for breakfast. I'm haven't always been perfect (today, I had leftover pizza for breakfast), but I have been snacking less throughout the day and evening, which is really important for me.

My working out hasn't been great. I intended to follow Yoga with Adriene's 30 Day Yoga Journey, but it just hasn't been working for me. I had wanted to do the daily video as soon as I got up, then get started on my bar prep as close to 9:00 as possible. But I was sleeping until close to 9:00, then the videos were 35 minutes, so I wasn't getting started with bar prep until a good hour after I wanted to. I know--make it work for me or set an alarm. Two fairly easy solutions. But I'm just not quite there with wanting to yet.

So I'll focus on my eating and see where that takes me. I will add in some yoga because I know I feel better when I move; I just need to find what works for me and my schedule.

Along those lines...I started reading Unprocessed: My City-Dwelling Year of Reclaiming Food by Megan Kimble. It's really good so far. Very eye-opening. I've only read the first couple of chapters, but it's getting me thinking about taking more steps with eating healthier, such as seeing whether my small town has a CSA co-op I can join that would get me more vegetables locally grown (I don't know how to cook vegetables, but this could be a great way to learn!), among other steps I can take to reduce my footprint and eat better food. I'll keep you updated on how that goes.

You'll also notice the title of this post--Wellness Wednesday. Since I'm making it a thing to get well, I thought maybe posting about it once a week--steps I've taken, successes, setbacks, thoughts, etc.--might be useful. Mostly so I can keep track of how things have changed. I'm not saying it will be every single Wednesday, but I'm shooting for most Wednesdays.

Comments

Popular Posts