Top Ten Books/Bookish Things I Wouldn't Mind Santa Bringing Me



Ahhhh...Tuesday.  I always liked Tuesday.  It wasn't Monday.  Gilmore Girls was on.  Now NCIS is on.  Not a bad day, in my opinion.  Not just Tuesday, but the day before Christmas Eve.  Tuesday, of course, also means Top Ten Tuesday over at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week we're focusing on things we wouldn't mind Santa bringing us.

1.  Time to write.  This is the absolute top of my list.  I would love to have some time to work on that novella I started writing back in November that I really haven't had time to work on because the past two months have been insane with work and various get togethers.  But I really want time to write.  It may sound crazy, but I am actually kind of missing my characters and their stories.  Plus I formed a writers group with a good friend and part of the deal is that I need to be writing so I have something to share when we talk.

2.  Best of 2014 Book Riot Box.  I really, really, really want this.  So bad.  But some members of my family kind of already think I have a book-buying problem, so I didn't ask for it.  And I couldn't justify spending that much of my own money at this point.  The suspense to know what is in the box is just killing me!

3.  More bookshelves.  I need a couple more bookshelves.  I would like for them to be somewhat uniform in appearance.  Then again, I kind of like my eclectic collection of shelves.  At any rate, more space for books would be wonderful.

4.  I'm with the Band by Pamela Des Barres.  This book looks really interesting.  Kind of a real life version of Almost Famous, even though those ladies were band aids, not groupies.  But I think it would be interesting to get a firsthand account of what it was like to travel with bands during the heyday of music (though I will always be more attracted to the Rat Pack).

5.  More time to read.  This is probably more along the lines of a bookish resolution because a lot of the struggle to read is making the time to do it.  But sometimes I would honestly just rather have a few totally free hours in which to sit and read without any interruptions or distractions.  No work.  No phone.  No computer.  No TV.  No hospital.  No family.  Just quiet, me, a book, and a beverage in a nice comfy chair.

6.  A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.  I've read this one before.  I borrowed it from a guy I wanted to impress as an undergrad who loved the book.  Then, to be perverse, I think I kind of made up my mind ahead of time to not like it so we could have some sort of tense, sexy argument about the book's merits.  I'm older now and a little bit wiser, so I think I should probably give this one another shot.

7.  The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe.  I read and loved The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test as an undergrad.  I've started I Am Charlotte Simmons.  I love Wolfe's style and ability to perfectly mimic cultures.  This novel, his debut, which is set in 1980s New York, sounds extremely interesting and pretty apt for what's been going on lately.  I think once I finish Charlotte Simmons, I need to get this one and devour it.

8.  The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis.  I don't know why I've been so into satires lately.  Apparently, a lot of my latent cynicism is bubbling to the surface.  Not that I ever really did a very good job of hiding it, according to my dad.  But whatever.  This one is about a boy on his way to Oxford who decides to seduce a girl named Rachel, then he falls in love with her, which messes with his cynicism.

9.  American Gods Shirt.  I really like this shirt.  A lot.  But I also feel duty-bound to read the book before wearing the shirt, so I need a copy of the book as well.

10.  The Great Gatsby Shirt.  It's hard to decide whether I like the red or the gray shirt better.  Regardless, I love, love, love how the Y is a martini glass.  Absolutely perfect!  This is one of my favorite novels, so I think I need the shirt.  Right?



So what's on your Christmas wishlist?

Comments

  1. I read The Bonfire of Vanities (in French) when I was a teenager and I've loved it! Since then I want to re-read it; hopefully, it will be this year. The movie is excellent too.
    Have a happy holidays (and I hope Santa will fulfill your wishes!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts