22 March 2015

To the Lightpost--3/22/15


Before I embark on something, I like to do a bit of research, learn what I can so I do it "right."  I've decided that I want to start running.  In all of the reading I've done on running, I've come across several mentions of keeping a running log to see how you feel after each run.  I think this is probably a good idea and will help me determine when I need to step it up to the next level.  Plus, hey, more posts!

I'm really in the beginning phases of running.  We'll call it pre-running.  Basically, I'm more concerned with getting out the damn door than I am with form and breathing techniques.  That will come later or not.  I'm not really interested in turning this into a science and spending boatloads of money when I think that basic equipment will definitely suffice for my purposes.  If I become one of those marathon runners, yeah, I think things would change.  But until then...yeah, not to much.

So today, I got up and did some yoga.  I'm still trying to find a good short morning practice I can do that will loosen me up and get me going.  I did the same video today that I did yesterday, but I just wasn't feeling it today and switched it off halfway through.  I'll try a different one tomorrow.

Then I went downstairs, made my coffee, and grabbed a quick breakfast of a banana and some Cheerios before hitting the grocery store with my mom.  I had the brilliant idea of getting some sausage from Sprouts and grilling it for lunch.  :)

Once we got back, it was time to lace up and hit the pavement.

When I set out it was about 60*.  That felt like a good temperature for the sleeveless workout top and capri length pants I was wearing.  On cooler mornings I can add a light jacket and take that off as I warm up.  On warmer mornings (it only gets down to about 75* during the summer months) I'll have to go with shorts, but I have a bit of time before I need to worry about that.

After talking with my friend who just randomly started to jog one day, I decided that going from my house to the main street and back (about a mile) was a good distance to start with.  Once I can pretty much run the whole thing, I can add loops on some culs-de-sacs.  I'd do a warm-up walk, then jog until I needed a break, walk until I had almost recovered, jog, walk, jog, walk, and so on, then do a cool down walk.  I used the lightpost at the curve in the street as my marker for when to end my warm-up and start my cool-down (hence the title).

As I ran, I tried pushing myself, but also to listen to my body.  Particularly at the beginning, I tried to get myself to go just a little bit further, "no, Lori, to the next driveway," than I did at the end.  I am proud to say that I didn't stop jogging short of whatever landmark I chose.  And this time I spoke to myself in a much kinder voice instead of shaming myself to go further or harder, so that was also good.

I carried a waterbottle with me, which I think was probably unnecessary, but I liked having something in my hand.  At some point if I keep doing this, I'm going to have to find joggers' sunglasses (do they make such a thing?) because mine kept bouncing when I jogged and slid down my nose, which made me breathe more through my mouth than I wanted.  At the very end I took the things off, but I need something to keep the sun out of my eyes.  

My plan is to jog two days, then take a day or two off.  I don't want to overload myself.  But I also need to have a flexible routine because sometimes I visit my friends or my grandma and neither situation is really conducive to running.  I could walk hills in my grandma's neighborhood though...We shall see.

Anyway, that's what I've got so far.  I have no idea if the run was good or not, but I did it, so it's better than nothing.

2 comments:

  1. I always look at joggers and think "I'd like to be able to do that" but those serious runners never look like they're having fun. And I'm thinking if you're miserable, why? I know it needs to be a "work" out but I could never convince myself to do it if I were miserable! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I think it depends on why you do it in the first place. If you genuinely want to get out the and run to expend some energy and be outdoors, which is why I'm doing it, then I think you are doing good. But I know that some people do it for the sole purpose of losing weight and really kind of hate it. I think they are missing the point.

    ReplyDelete